Brief History of Lakewood
The Lakewood Development began in November 1956 with the purchase of the land currently being developed from two land owners. In late 1956 and throughout most of the year in 1957, the 26 acre Lakewood Lake and initial streets were constructed. Right after those initial streets were completed, the lake itself finally filled with water by the spring of 1958.
Nineteen plats have been recorded over the past 51 years varying from one to 47 lots per plat. In total, 289 lots have been platted in the Lakewood Development, and of that 236 homes have been built. The Lakewood era continues.
How Streets Were Named in Lakewood
Beginning with the original Lakewood section Amo, Washington, Canal, and Mulberry Streets are merely extensions of streets already existing in the Town of Riley. As for the first added streets, Cherry and Vermont Streets, they were obviously influenced by the Washington Street name. When Washington comes to mind, you immediately think of the cherry tree and Vermont, thus those streets were named. Ernest Drive is named for Ernest Froderman, the original developer of Lakewood. It should be noted that this is the longest street in Lakewood, which was part of the original plan. Next is Beatrice Court, which was named for Beatrice Froderman, who took over the development following the death of her husband, Ernest, in 1968.
Following the death of Beatrice Froderman in 1967, Norm Froderman assumed development duties and followed by naming two streets for his children, Troy Court and Valerie Court. Blackberry Court was named because the developer’s family and some lakeside neighbors used to pick blackberries just at the end of the cul-de-sac. What better name for a street dead-ending in the favorite blackberry patch? Barbara Court came about because; Barbara is the wife of Norm Froderman. After all, how could one develop a subdivision and not name a street after their wife?
One street name with quite a history is Parker Street. It actually dates back to World War I. In the 1950’s, a World War I Veteran by the name of Herbert Parker was a dear family friend, so the decision was made to honor him by naming this road after him. Next, comes Hazelgreen Court, in which the name was taken from the first recorded village of the area in the 1840’s called Hazel Green. This village was on the south edge of Riley; however, no longer exists as a settlement. Today, it is a farm field just south of the hill on State Road 159. This street name enabled the developer to carry a little bit of early history of the Town into Lakewood Subdivision.
Lakewood Drive should need no explanation. How could one have a Lakewood Development without naming a street Lakewood Drive? This is especially true since it goes through the woods and dead-ends at the lake. One name is sure to create a guessing name, and that is Blinn Court. Actually,it is named for the current developer, Norm Froderman. It is his middlename. Sort of fitting, since Blinn Court is also in the middle of the Lakewood Development along the west side.
Another bit of fact that one might find interesting is the reason for Beatrice Court and Blinn Court branching off Ernest Drive. If you will recall, Ernest Drive was named for the original developer, Ernest Froderman; Beatrice Court after his wife, and as was just stated Blinn Court after their only child. It should also be noted that Beatrice Court and Blinn Court are next to each other. The theory was in the course of naming streets, it would be fitting if the wife Beatrice and the only child Blinn could branch off Ernest Drive, as families do in real life.
In the next to the last development just off Lakewood Drive, grandchildren of the current developer were honored by naming a street after them. Lauren Court and Bryan Court were named for two grandchildren currently residing in Phoenix, and Alexandria Court was named for a granddaughter currently living in Lakewood.
In the latest development, the LAKEWOOD 18TH PLAT, Jacob Court is named for a grandson also currently residing in Lakewood. Since the Wabash & Erie Canal lies along the east edge of this latest development, the developer felt it would be appropriate to name the first street that overlooks the Canal, Erie Canal Court. The main street branching off of Canal Street into this development is named Shady Grove Court, which is just what the court is at the end, a “shady grove”. In addition, the name comes from an old family farm called Shady Grove Farm. Dailey Court, the last street named, was chosen to recognize the family that originally owned a portion of the land when it was just fields, woods, and a small orchard. The Dailey’s sold their farm to Ernest & Beatrice Froderman, the original developers, in the mid 1950’s, and the era of Lakewood began and still flourishing today!